Basic Requirements for Teaching English in Korea

You must meet all of the requirements in order to qualify for full-time teaching jobs, and the respective work visa with Gone2Korea.  Unfortunately, alternative qualifications cannot be used as a substitute for any of these requirements; they’re all mandatory. We apologize in advance to those who don’t qualify.

Native English Speaker

Being a native English speaker, English being your first language, is a mandatory prerequisite.

Bachelor's Degree

Any major or field of study qualifies. Your degree must come from an English speaking university or college.

Valid Passport From...

United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand or South Africa. 

You will also need a clean criminal record and a good bill of health > learn more

Teaching in Korea Requirements Summary

  1.  Native English Speaker
  2.  Designated Passport
  3.  Bachelor’s Level Degree
  4.  Clean Criminal Record
  5.  Good Bill of Health

Eligibility Questions

Yes, you can apply before you’ve graduated as long as you’re able to tell us when you’ll receive your degree (the physical diploma). You’ll need your degree certificate in order to apply for the work visa.

We’re unable to assist candidates who offer background checks with charges, arrests or convictions; this includes drinking and driving offenses such as DUIs.

No you can’t, sorry. Unfortunately, being a native English speaker is compulsory for all of the jobs.

No you can’t, sorry. Having a valid passport from one of the designated English speaking countries – as defined by Korean Immigration – is a mandatory prerequisite for the types of jobs and programs we work with. We realize there are other types of jobs and visas which other nationalities may qualify for, however, we don’t work with these employers. To see if you qualify for alternative employment opportunities, we recommend contacting the Korean embassy in your home country or the embassy for your country of citizenship in Korea.

Yes, you can. However, it’s at the discretion of the hiring schools in Korea to approve/decline candidates. Similarly, Korean Immigration approves/declines visa applications on a case by case basis.

We’re sorry to say this, but it’s necessary to have a degree from an English university that resides within one of the 7 English speaking countries, as defined by Korean Immigration. Note: You may qualify for other types of teaching jobs in Korea that we don’t represent. We recommend speaking with some other agencies and/or recruiters. 

Prerequisites Explained

The fine print!

Native English Speaker

You must be a native English speaker to qualify for jobs with the types of schools and programs we represent. People with ‘very mild accents’ may still be eligible if you completed all of your education in English within one of the 7 designated English speaking countries from the start of grade seven through the university level.

Passport from an English Speaking Country

Korean Immigration will only issue visas to certain nationalities. To qualify, you’ll need to have a valid passport from one of the following English speaking countries: 

United States, Canada, Britain, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa

Bachelor's Degree

A bachelor’s level degree is mandatory. All majors and disciplines are accepted (BAs, BFAs, BEDs, BBAs, BSS, etc.). Additionally, the university or college you attended must reside within one of the 7 countries listed in the nationality requirements section outlined above.

Example 1: A Canadian who graduated from an American or British university still qualifies because the school was located in one of the designated countries.

Example 2: An American who graduated from a university in Spain does not qualify.

Clean Criminal Record

Having a clean criminal abstract is necessary. Korean Immigration will occasionally grant visas to candidates with ‘minor’ blemishes on their criminal record checks, however, it’s essentially at their discretion to approve or decline visas as they see fit. To qualify for positions with Gone2Korea, all applicants must have a clean criminal abstract (e.g. no charges, arrests or convictions appearing on your criminal record check).

Note: Traffic violations such as speeding tickets, parking tickets, etc. will not affect your application. Drinking and driving related offenses (DUIs, DWIs, etc.) are not minor offenses. We regret to inform applicants with drinking and driving related charges that your application will not be accepted unless you have the charge expunged from your record.

Good Mental & Physical Health

As a teacher in Korea, you’ll be required to have good physical and mental health. Korean Immigration reserves the right to approve and decline visa applications at their discretion. Generally speaking, applicants with ailments that are transferrable to others, regardless of the risk level, are declined. Likewise, candidates who require medications for mental health illnesses, such as depression, anxiety, bi-polar, etc. have a difficult time getting approved by Korean employers and the Korean immigration office.

All teachers are required to submit a Korean Immigration Health Questionnaire (called an E2 Health Statement) before securing their visa. Secondly, all teachers are required to complete a physical health examination at a designated medical clinic shortly after arriving. If you falsify information on your health questionnaire in order to secure a visa, immigration will likely find out when you complete the real health examination in Korea which can lead to having your visa revoked.

If you have any ongoing health issues please inform your Gone2Korea representative so he/she can inform you about the potential obstacles with Immigration. It’s not impossible to obtain employment with minor health problems, although it’s important to let the schools know in advance so they’re aware of any potential problems that may affect your responsibilities as a teacher.

Thanks for checking us out, we’re glad you’re here!

Gone2Korea is your connection to full-time teaching jobs in South Korea. Western graduates, primarily from the US, Canada, UK, and Australia, use our services to secure jobs with trusted Korean schools, and schools use our services to find and hire enthusiastic teachers from the West.

Worth noting: We’re not a job ‘sourcing’ agency or recruiter that finds new schools on the fly. On the contrary, we work with a select group of schools and programs that we know and trust. 

In addition to helping you land a job, we’ll also be helping you with your work visa, departure, arrival, and offering support for the entirety of your contracted term.

Prior teaching experience and related degrees are NOT prerequisites for teaching in Korea. Here’s what you’ll need in order to qualify.

Korean schools and programs offer western English teachers highly competitive benefits packages which includes: