How Canadians Authenticate Diplomas & Criminal Record Checks For Teaching in Korea


Unlike the other nationalities (Americans, Brits, Aussies, etc.) who need to have their documents authenticated with an Apostille, Canada was not a signatory of the Apostille treaty so the process for Canadians is a little different. Alternatively, Canadians need to have their original criminal record check, and notarized copy of diploma, authenticated by one of the Korean Consulates with a verification stamp. FYI: The consulate will authenticate both documents ‘on the spot’ if you visit in person.

How do I authenticate my university diploma and RCMP criminal record check?

STEP 1: First bring your original university diploma to a notary public or, lawyer with a notary license, and ask them to make a notarized copy. The notary will make a photocopy of your original diploma then sign and stamp the photocopied version – you now have a notarized copy of your diploma. Appointments typically aren’t necessary, you can get a notarization on the spot with most notaries.

STEP 2: Bring, or mail, the notarized copy of your diploma and your original RCMP check (RCMP check doesn’t need a notarization like your diploma does) to the Korean Consulate in your jurisdiction and secure the Korean Consulate Verification Stamps.

Find your Korean Consulate >>> Korean Consulate Directory

IMPORTANT: The Korean Consulates in Canada have minor variations in their policies for authenticating documents. Make sure to speak with a representative from the consulate you plan on using before submitting your copy of diploma and RCMP check to request the Verification Stamps.

DOCUMENT VERIFICATION FEE: Korean Consulates will only accept cash or money orders; money orders must be made out to ‘Korean Consulate General’ (fees vary between consulates). A pre-paid return address envelope (you will need to use Canada Post X-press) will also be required if you want them to return the documents via mail. FYI: Delivering the documents in person is the fastest method because they can usually verify your documents on the spot.

Picture of Gone2Korea



Thanks for checking us out, we’re glad you’re here!

Gone2Korea is your connection to full-time teaching jobs in South Korea. Western graduates, primarily from the US, Canada, UK, and Australia, use our services to secure jobs with trusted Korean schools, and schools use our services to find and hire enthusiastic teachers from the West.

Worth noting: We’re not a job ‘sourcing’ agency or recruiter that finds new schools on the fly. On the contrary, we work with a select group of schools and programs that we know and trust. 

In addition to helping you land a job, we’ll also be helping you with your work visa, departure, arrival, and offering support for the entirety of your contracted term.

Prior teaching experience and related degrees are NOT prerequisites for teaching in Korea. Here’s what you’ll need in order to qualify.

Korean schools and programs offer western English teachers highly competitive benefits packages which includes: