Korean Work Visas

South Korea offers a wide range of work visas, each with a unique set of prerequisites.

Common Types of Korean Work Visas

E2 Visa

Foreign Language Instructor Visa

Typically known as the ‘English Teaching Visa’. This is the work visa that most Westerners need to acquire in order to work in South Korea legally as an English teacher (foreign language instructor).

E2 Visa Eligibility

  • Have completed a 3-4 year Bachelor’s Degree
  • Must have an employer who is willing to sponsor your stay.
  • Must hold a valid passport

Employers you can work for on the E2 visa

How long does an E2 visa last?

  • 13 months

E1 Visa

The Professor Visa

E1 Visa Eligibility

  • Have completed a 3-4 year Bachelor’s Degree
  • Must have an employer who is willing to sponsor your stay.
  • Must hold a valid passport

Employers you can work for on the E1 visa

  • Korean universities and colleges
  • Research institutions
  • Broadcasting companies and other equivalent organizations

How long does an E1 visa last?

  • 13 months

F4 Visa

Korean Heritage Visa

F4 Visa Eligibility

  • Overseas Korean Nationals (Gyopo)
  • Koreans who did not change their citizenship status
  • Koreans who moved abroad before 1948
  • Ethnic Koreans who were born in their current country of citizenship, but have a parent who held Korean citizenship prior to immigrating

Employers you can work for on the F4 visa

People with F4 Visa have the same employment rights and privileges as Korean citizens. F4 visa holders can work for any private business or public entity. 

How long does an F4 visa last?

  • 2-5 years

F2 Visa

Long Term Residency Visa

F2 Visa Eligibility

  • You have a Korean spouse
  • You’re the spouse of a current F5 visa holder
  • You’ve resided in Korea for a period of 5 straight years (must be continuous)
  • You pass the F2 visa points system

To qualify for this visa through the points system, candidates need to acquire a score of 80 points – minimum – out of a possible 120 points.  Points are awarded based on income, age, education, language proficiency, volunteer work and participation rates in the social integration program (operated by Korean Immigration).

Employers you can work for

F2 visa holders can work for most types of Korean employers: Private schools, public schools, international schools, colleges and universities, private corporations, research institutes, government agencies. 

How long does an F2 visa last?

  • 5 years

D10 Visa

The Job Seeking Visa

D10 Visa Eligibility

  • This isn’t a work visa per se, but it’s still one of the more common visa’s issued to people who are searching for jobs in Korea.
  • Eligibility will vary depending on where you apply from (within Korea or your home country) and the type of employers you plan on pursuing. 
  • Western teachers who are currently residing in Korea may apply for the D10 visa at the end of their contract term, in order to remain in Korea legally while searching for a new job.

Employers you can work for

None. This visa can only be used for job hunting purposes. Once you secure a job you will need to convert your D10 visa to the respective work visa.

How long does a D10 visa last?

  • 6 months
E3 Visa

Research Visa

E5 Visa

Professional Employment Visa

F6 Visa

Married to Korean Citizen Visa

F3 Visa

Spouse or Child Dependent Visa

H1 Visa

Working Holiday Visa

H2 Visa

Working Visitor Visa

Thanks for checking us out, we’re glad you’re here!

Gone2Korea is your connection to full-time teaching jobs in South Korea. Western graduates, primarily from the US, Canada, UK, and Australia, use our services to secure jobs with trusted Korean schools, and schools use our services to find and hire enthusiastic teachers from the West.

Worth noting: We’re not a job ‘sourcing’ agency or recruiter that finds new schools on the fly. On the contrary, we work with a select group of schools and programs that we know and trust. 

In addition to helping you land a job, we’ll also be helping you with your work visa, departure, arrival, and offering support for the entirety of your contracted term.

Prior teaching experience and related degrees are NOT prerequisites for teaching in Korea. Here’s what you’ll need in order to qualify.

Korean schools and programs offer western English teachers highly competitive benefits packages which includes: