Frequently Asked Questions

Common questions and answers about teaching English in South Korea


No, all Gone2Korea services are FREE of charge to the applicant, guaranteed! Please refer to our Associated Costs page for document and visa related expenses.
No, having Korean language skills is not a prerequisite or requirement. Furthermore, having Korean language skills won’t have an impact on the jobs you are eligible for.
Related work experience, level of education and/or major, location, type of school, teaching sector, working hours and age groups all have an impact on the salary you are eligible for. People with unrelated majors and a lack of formal teaching experience can usually expect to make 2.0 – 2.2 million won monthly. Applicants with full time teaching experience, education majors, teaching licenses, etc. can usually expect to make 2.2 – 2.7 million won monthly.
Working hours vary between schools and sectors. The standard work week for private English schools is 28 – 30 hours of in-class teaching, although director’s and school managers expect teachers to arrive 1 or 2 hours early in order to prepare for their classes. Jobs in the public sector require 20 – 24 hours of in-class teaching each week; the principal will also require teachers to complete 1-2 hours of lesson planning each day. Generally speaking, both sectors will require their teaching staff to be at the school for 7-9 hours a day – similar to teachers in the West.
Benefits include: 50/50 health insurance (medical plan), free airfare to and from Korea, furnished living accommodations (rent free apartment), visa sponsorship and a severance package (bonus) equal to 1 months’ salary at the end of your contract. Click here to view benefits in detail.
Yes, a bachelor’s degree from an accredited school (any major or discipline) is mandatory for the programs we represent. Visit our Eligbility page for more details.
Prior teaching experience and related majors are an advantage but they are not mandatory for securing legitimate employment as an English teacher in Korea. If you want to make yourself more appealing to employers you may want to get your teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) certificate. Completing one of these courses will not automatically guarantee you a job, having a TEFL credential will make your application more competitive and will qualify you for jobs in both sectors of the job market. Visit our TEFL Certification page for more information.
How much you can save obviously depends on your lifestyle. Day to day living expenses usually account for 35-50% of your monthly income. Most teachers in Korea are able to save 8 -10 million won in their first year. Note: Western teachers in Korea are able to live a very high quality of life with the salaries they receive.
If you experience any problems with your school or you require some general tips and/or advice then please contact your Gone2Korea representative by phone or email – we’re here to help throughout your entire contracted term!
Generally speaking your Korean employer will pay for your flight to get you to Korea. Some hagwon directors will pay for your exiting flight at the end of the contract but it’s becoming more common that they will not. This will be established at the time of the job offer being presented to you. In the public sector you will be required to pay for your flight to Korea up front and you will be offered a compensation amount within 4 weeks of your arrival to Korea. There is a set reimbursement amount so please speak to your Gone2Korea representative if you would like more details.
You will live in an apartment that’s being provided by your employer. Most apartments are located within walking distance of the school, although some apartments will require a short commute. Schools usually offer single studio style apartments. Please be advised: Apartments in Korea are quite small and utilities are the teachers’ responsibility.
Monthly utilities will include; telephone, electricity, heating and a small apartment maintenance fee. The combined monthly cost of these bills usually equates to 100,000 – 140,000 Korean won per month.



FAQ Related Topics